Saturday, December 25, 2004

Musicals

Phantom of the Opera Posted by Hello


Cool. I've watched Phantom of the Opera today. Since the day I heard the Phantom theme song until the minute the movie began, I dislike the musical.

Why? This is surprising right, because to many who know me, the name 'shimin' gives them a 'classical' feel. Wahaha... Ok, stupid me.

People know I love classical music and with their little knowledge, they would think that musicals are classics. Sorry, you are wrong.

Anyway.

REASONS why I dislike Phantom musical:

1. The song makes me shiver and I get goosebumps when listening to the 'ahhh.... yiiikkk... ahhhh..' part (you know what I mean, that sickening screaming part)

2. The lyrics is very, very, too confusing because I never catch what was happening, based on just listening to the song alone.

3. I always thought the mask man is lame.

But you know what? I've changed my mind today! Yupz. The musical is GREAT! I love the movie! Wow~! Awesome. Marvellous.

I guess it needs people (like me, ha ha) to appreciate this kind of music to be able to enjoy watching the musical cum movie. Shame on Straits Times's reviewer to rate it 3 stars only. I think the movie deserves 3.5 to 4 stars.

Though I have to admit, the girl who played Christine doesn't have a strong voice compared to singers like Sarah Brightman, who is my favourite new age singer. But I thought she wasn't that bad. Can publish album and beat Charlotte Church.

Sarah Brightman Posted by Hello


No, I don't hate Charlotte Church. I just didn't think she is fantantic. Her voice is thick and... I can't say it's hoarse, it is... Incoherent! Yupz. Just listen to her duet with Sarah Brightman. Oh my.

Charlotte Church in Japan Posted by Hello


Her voice's muffled. She's a growing teen who sounds more like a choir soloist. Perhaps with more years of training, she would improve. I heard she's into hit pop songs now ?

Ok. I digressed.

Anyway. I've searched my cd racks and found 2 cds. Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical collection. Surprised, when did I bought them? Must be years ago when I left them untouched after realising (then) I don't really like musicals.

Didn't realise that songs like All I ask of You and Music of the Night are actually from the Phantom musical. I've been listening to them, heard them before but never realise they are songs from the musical I used to disliked.

*Slap myself*
It's time to wake up now.

Oh yeah. Merry Christmas to all!